So the first reason we gave Preston the middle name of "Michael" was because of my husband Michael. The second reason was because of my brother Michael. My brother was born with complications. He was in the NICU for a while after birth and when he was finally sent home with my parents, he had quite a bit of medical equipment to go with him. He had a tracheotomy (where an incision in made in the throat and a tracheal tube is placed to allow the individual to breathe), he was fed through a tube in his nose and had to be put on a respirator at night in order to be able to breathe.
Michael was born on September 6th, 1983. I wasn't around, but from home videos I've seen, Michael was a happy and a smart baby. People who have had a tracheotomy can't talk because air leaves the tube in the throat instead of the mouth, therefore no sound can come out. That didn't stop Michael. Michael would either press his chin to the tube or cover it with his fingers in order to produce sound. My parent's have many pictures and a few videos of Michael that I love to look at.
Michael was 2 years old when he passed away December 15, 1985 from a brain aneurysm. My parents put Michael to bed on the night of the 14th and when he had slept in longer than usual the following morning, my mom went to check on him and found him with a pool of blood around his pillow. As you can imagine my parents were devastated to loose their first child. I can't imagine the strength someone must have to go through something such as loosing a child. I could never handle it.
There is a couple in our ward who got pregnant with triplets by in-vitro fertilization. They lost one of the babies and then the other two ended up being delivered early and both passed away. Another woman I know recently had her baby 15 weeks early and he is in the NICU trying to further develop. The Lord knows what is in store for us all and I can't imagine going through anything these women have. They are so strong and I admire them and have the up most respect for them.
Today marks the 25th anniversary of my brother's passing. I wish I knew him. Love you Michael!

1 comment:
I admire these women too. I feel the same way as you- I have complete respect and adoration for when a woman loses her child. :( Thank goodness for the Gospel and for eternal families.
Post a Comment