Preston likes the green pacifier from the hospital. Unlike a lot of babies, if he doesn't immediately start sucking on it when it's placed in his mouth, he doesn't want it. No matter how long you hold it there or if you rub it on his tongue, he doesn't want it! We've had a few experiences where someone, other than Mike or I, is holding Preston and he gets a little squirmy and starts to make an "I'm upset" face. They immediately reach for his pacifier and try to stick it in his mouth. When he doesn't take it, they hold it in his mouth as he's shaking his head to get away from it and getting more upset because he can't get it out of his mouth, hoping he will start sucking. I try really hard not to be the first time mom saying "oh don't do that" "hold him this way" "watch his head" or "he doesn't like that" but I really want to say "He doesn't want the pacifier! Stop forcing it on him!"
I feel the same way when somebody wants to hold him and as soon as they get him in their arms they either start bouncing him aggressively up and down or swaying him swiftly side to side. Then they don't understand why he's waking up and getting a little cranky. I wouldn't want to be bounced or swayed like that and I'm an adult. Why would a tiny baby want that? A gentle bounce or sway will suffice IF he's even fussy or needs it. Otherwise, just hold him. Geez, I sound SO uptight.
Preston HATES to be swaddled anymore or have his hands/arms held down. We had some newborn photos of him taken and we were hoping to be able to do some cute ones of him laying on his tummy with his head on his arms but getting him in that position was the first time I heard him scream like that since the day he was born. He HATED it. Our friend Shelley was the photographer and so she would hold him when he was fussy and she held his arms down thinking he would like to be held tightly as if to "represent the womb". NOPE. He screamed even more.
I don't even know what to say about this picture
Disclosure: Everyone has their own views that they are entitled to and I'm not saying they are wrong. This is just the way I want to raise my child.
1. Preston getting his pacifier is the last measure we take when/if he's upset. I don't want him to be dependent on it to be soothed or to fall asleep.
2. During the day we do not hush noises, turn off lights or accommodate his sleeping in any way. We want him to be able to sleep through noises, light and any other distractions. I don't want to be one of those stay at home moms who is locked in the house during nap time because my child wont sleep in his car seat so I can get my grocery shopping done.
3. I don't want people to hesitate to ask to hold Preston. If you want to hold him, hold him. I want my child to get used to that and not fuss when it's not his mom or dad holding him. I even more so don't want him to be the toddler grabbing my leg with me dragging him out the door as a babysitter tries to pull him off when my husband and I try to go out on a date.
4. Even though I want him to get used to other people holding him, I don't want him getting used to being held. I know that babies don't get spoiled being held until they are a little older, but during the day I either put him in his crib or lay him on a blanket while he sleeps.
Those are some of my goals as a parent. The main advice I get from other parents is Consistency. Being consistent in our ways will work! Hopefully I can do that in order to help me stick to my goals.

3 comments:
Your goals sound just like mine. Trust me, the sleeping through noises is sooooo nice.
He's adorable Kylie. Congratulations again. Babies are so much fun, but they're definitely a lot of work. Don't feel bad if sometimes you want your old life back. I know I did, but then, there are those times, when you can't imagine your life without him.
Awesome goals! People giving you a hard time? Rachelle is right on...Right now he's just sweet and quiet...then sometimes (LIKE GRAY) they become very loud and love to voice their opinions in a baby like manner...as you've experienced. hahaha
I love the 2nd picture where he's just looking right at the camera. He's looking like he's going to have brown eyes like you. (but that's just a picture) what do you think?
I would just like to say DITTO to all of that! You guys are on the right track! Go Crumps!
If I haven't said it already, CONGRATS!! He's such a cutie! And I'm so happy for you guys! I hope you all are doing great and your recovery is going smoothly. And I want to hold him! :)
Post a Comment