My Chica!


0 Happy Thoughts





Friday morning I received a call from my Mom saying that my little sister Kathryn had been in a car accident. My Mom said that Kathryn had rolled the car a couple of times and was in the hospital. I literally jumped out of bed, put on the clothes I had on the day before, and took off to the hospital in tears.
Kathryn and I had not really been close growing up because my older brother Jordan and I were closer in age and we were the closest. When Jordan left on his mission, that's when Kathryn and I became close.
I don't know why but I give the most random nick names. I call my dog Lacey, "Moshi" and my other dog Tucker "Zuba". Don't ask me why because I don't know. So, I call Kathryn "Chica". Yes, it's "girl" in Spanish. Sometimes I even call her Chic (pronounced cheek) for short. Chica and I hung out all the time. We became inseparable. We had and still have some of the funnest memories and inside jokes. She came on the road trip with me to college which was one of the funnest memories I think we will ever have together.
Kathryn has had a bit of a wavering testimony which I know is in her because she never fails to make the right choice. Sometimes she doesn't necessarily understand why early morning seminary is necessary or what the purpose is for Wednesday night mutual. While I was away at school Kathryn would call me and tell me when my parents would yell at her for not attending mutual or missing a day of seminary. Chica would constantly call and ask me for advice about things and when I would ask her why she didn't ask Mom, she would say things like "Mom went through this a long time ago. You were just in my shoes a few years ago." I loved knowing that Kathryn trusted my judgement and my opinion.
Growing up I was a pretty worldly child wanting the things of the world. Wanting to spend every paycheck I made on clothes, shoes, or going out. It wasn't until I went away to college that I saw how much my parents did for me growing up or how necessary seminary really was. It was when I had no money for groceries or gas that I realized I needed to step up. My parents did not/have not paid a single penny towards my tuition for school. My Aunt and Uncle paid my tuition but I now make monthly payments to them to pay back every cent. Kathryn is the opposite of how I was. Kathryn saves her money and rarely spends it. She is a hard worker and knows the value of her money.
While she may trust my advice, there are some things I tell her that she may not want to hear. When I tell her that seminary really will benefit her life for the better, she sighs but at the same time, knowing I had just completed 4 long years of early morning seminary 2 years earlier, she listened. I love my sister SO much. I will defend and stick up for her in anything and everything no matter who I have to defend her against. She is probably my best friend, aside from my husband.
So when I got the call Friday morning my heart dropped. I parked my car and ran into the ER. I ran into where Kathryn was and saw her laying on the bed with a neck brace on. Tears filled my eyes but she knew how to lighten the mood but laughing and having a light attitude. She luckily had no broken bones or any serious injuries. She had a gash in her ankle that she needed get 3 staples to close, she had cuts from glass and some bumps and bruises. Her airbags did not deploy so she had a minor concussion also. The EMT told her he was shocked she was not injured worse, let alone alive. Kathryn was definitely protected. Hopefully it was a witness to her, but it was definitely a witness for me. I went to church yesterday with a full heart of gratitude for the protection she was given.
I LOVE YOU KATHRYN!

No comments: