Thanksgiving Week Part 1


0 Happy Thoughts
I'm not really sure how many "parts" there will be for Thanksgiving but I title this 'Part 1' because I sure hope this is NOT how we spend our entire Thanksgiving. Last Monday Madison woke up with a high fever but no other symptoms so I took her in to the doctor in hopes of an ear infection. It sounds mean but let me explain. Madison had had 3 ear infections within a 4 month period and if she has 4 within a 6 month period she was eligible to get tubes which would mean no more ear infections or at least not so miserable. Since it had only been 3 weeks since her last one if this was in fact an ear infection, I was scheduling her surgery for that very Friday. Much to my dismay I pinned her down onto the exam table for the doctor to check her ears for him to discover no ear infection. NO!!! Of course she tested negative for strep and so the fever was a big question mark! He suggested we keep her comfortable and wait it out before we did blood and urine work for a possible bladder infection and so forth. Her fever went away after a couple of doses of Tylenol and the next day she was fine. Thursday she developed a runny nose and a cough. Friday she woke up and was worse but still, the fever hadn't returned. Preston at that point had gotten a bit of the sniffles too but nothing too bad. Preston stays the night at Mike's mom's on most Fridays and my mom had offered about a week prior to all of this to keep Madison over night so that Mike and I could have a MUCH needed night out. My mom came and got Madison and when Mike got home from work we eagerly started our date night. We went to dinner at Cheesecake Factory with some gift cards we had and we then went to see the 10pm showing of Hunger Games. About 11pm my mom calls saying Madison was NOT doing well and she needed to come home to sleep in her own bed. We walked out of Hunger Games, which one of my pet peeves is not finishing a movie once I've started it, but our daughter needed her mom, dad and familiar bed.
Saturday we knew we needed to take Madison to the doctor because her cough was so bad. Linda (Mike's Mom) brought Preston home and said "yup, he has a cold". We took Madison to the doctor and she was diagnosed with croup and an ear infection which the doctor said is what Preston was most likely developing. Saturday we kept her and Preston happy and as sniffle free as possible. Sunday Preston was more sniffley (sniffley? that's a word right?) than normal so we kept him and Madison home from church. We went to my parent's Sunday evening for a belated birthday dinner for my dad and we noticed Preston was really warm and I knew he had a fever. We brought the kids home so that they could go to bed at a decent hour and get some meds. Monday Madison was pretty much back to her normal self but Preston was fighting a fever of 101 that I couldn't keep down. He was sniffling more, coughing worse and not eating well. Last night I was up late working on editing photos while everyone else was in bed. I heard Preston cough and then his cough turned into a gag. I ran in and asked Mike if he threw up. He reassured me that everything was fine and that he was just coughing but when I finally came to bed I knew I needed to have an empty, small trashcan nearby.
Mike woke up to get ready for work after a very sleepless nights of loud snoring, coughing, and the requesting of frequent drinks from Preston which ultimately led to Mike sleeping out in the living room. Preston heard Mike and wanted Mike to hold him. As soon as he started coughing his gag cough again I had a strong feeling this one was going to be more than a cough. I reached over to grab the empty trashcan, practically threw it at Mike and Preston threw up. A shivering Preston requested a warm bath which I happily obliged and he sat in the bath for about 30 minutes. I finally got him out, laid him on a bed of couch cushions and pillows in the living room and he just laid there. He kept saying "my tummy hurts" and so I kept asking if he needed to throw up in the garbage and each time he answered no. Then one final time he jolted up and said he needed to throw up but before I could run fast enough to the bathroom to get the garbage can, his blanket was the substitute garbage can. After some laundry and an eased post-throw-up tummy, Preston drifted off to sleep. Madison kept trying to climb all over him but I did my best to  keep her away.
I just got home from the doctor's with him and sure enough he has the flu. I started this post before the doctor's appointment and now that I know what he has I'm debating on changing the title to 'Our Sick Thanksgiving' but I will leave it the way it is in hopes that SOMETHING changes. Fingers crossed.
2013-11-26_00032013-11-26_00042013-11-26_0005

No comments: